The Minsk Vavilov Machinery Plant (MMZ) started out in 1957 as a camera and optics processing machines manufacturer. As its product offering and production volumes expanded a Belorussian Opto-Mechanical Association (BelOMO) was formed on its manufacturing facilities.
BelOMO enjoyed leading position in the former USSR optics markets providing civil and military industry-specific solutions. The partnering plants specialized in specific equipment manufacturing. Minsk Vavilov Machinery Plant offered a full range of high-complex opto-mechanical and electro-optical devices, including products for aerospace industry. Zenith factory located in Vileika was the only camera manufacturer in the former USSR. Slide film projectors were fabricated in Diaprojector in Rogachev. The plant Svet located in Zhlobin offered image reproduction equipment and photo enlargers.
To date the Belorussian Opto-Mechanical Association employs more than 5,000 highly qualified professionals. The BelOMO factories occupy territory of about 220,000 m2 with more than 52,000 m2 of workshops areas .